The Dubai Pet Show takes place on 8th February 2012 at the Sevens sports stadium. You can bring your dog and have a great day out!
There is a tent for cat lovers too but you’re not allowed to bring your cat (yes, that’s Happydoggy breathing a sigh of relief all the while pretending to be disappointed).
We went last year and were amazed at how many dogs there are in Dubai. Because there are no dog-friendly outdoor parks in Dubai, it’s such a treat for a dog to get together with so many others. You have to keep your dog leashed at all times while you are there but it’s still a wonderful experience.
We’re definitely going again this year.
New Rules and Regulations
Following the sad incident last year, new rules have come into force for this year’s show.
There will also be a visible presence of Dubai Municipality to ensure that the rules are complied with. You can see these rules on the Dubai Pet Show 2013 website.
To help more people see them, I’ve replicated them here:
- The following breeds are banned by the Dubai Municipality and will not be admitted to the Pet Show:
- All kinds of Pit Bull Terriers
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Brazilian Fighting Dog
- Argentinean Fighting Dog
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Japanese Tosa
- Wolf dog
- Shar Pei
- Any cross breed from the above
- Authorized Dubai Municipality Vets at the entry gates will check all dogs and entry will be based on their discretion.
- Dog owners should present their pet’s registration and vaccination booklets to Dubai Municipality Staff at the entry gates.
- Puppies under 6 months of age are not allowed entry to the event.
- Dogs must be kept on a short leash at all times and leashes must be held by adults.
- Should the Authorized Dubai Municipality Vets at the entry gates deem it necessary that certain dogs be muzzled, the same shall be muzzled throughout the duration of the event. In which case, muzzles must be provided by the pet owners.
- Dubai Municipality Inspectors at the venue are authorized to impose penalties on pet owners who do not abide by the rules and regulations of the event.
- Dubai Municipality Inspectors reserve the right to expel anyone from the event venue for inappropriate behavior or signs of aggression.
- Dog owners are responsible for the actions of their dogs.
May I just add another rule – Please pick up after your dog. It’s shocking how many people don’t even when there are clear signs and free waste bags dotted around.
Exhibits and Stands
There is always a lot going on. You’ll find:
- Fun competitons for your dog – fancy dress, dog most like owner, happiest dog… (hmm Happiest Dog… I wonder…)
- Police dog demonstrations
- Face painting for children
- Grooming advice
- Lots of goodies to buy for your pet. Most exhibitors offer great discounts on the day.
- Advice on where to go for Day-care (I recommend Woof)
- … and a host of other things.
Adopt a Dog
K9 will be exhibiting dogs that need a new and loving home. You will see the K9 dogs being walked around throughout the morning.
They’ll also be in the show-ring at 10:30am and 1:15pm. If you are thinking about adopting a dog, be sure to head over and speak to the handlers. They will be happy to answer all your questions.
Are you planning on going?